|If the patient has elected for Metascreen™ via:|
|Maternity hospital||The urine specimen will be collected by a healthcare professional from the hospital and will be picked up by Cordlife from hospital directly.|
|Obstetrician or Paediatrician||The urine specimen will be collected at home by the patient.
The patient is required to contact Cordlife to arrange for specimen pick up.
IMPORTANT: CAREFULLY FOLLOW THE PROCEDURE TO PREVENT INVALID RESULTSThe urine colour of the filter paper in the figures below is used for illustration purpose only. The colour of your baby’s urine should be pale, water-coloured or apple-juice-coloured.
Collection of urine specimen is a very simple procedure. However, to ensure that metabolites are released into urine, the urine specimen should only be collected after 48 hours from birth. Please see the step by step explanation of the urine collection procedure:
1) Has my baby passed collection criteria?
- My baby is at least TWO (2) days old.
- My baby has taken at least one feed TWENTY-FOUR (24) hours ago.
2) Follow the procedure below to collect your baby’s urine
Place a filter paper on the diaper
- Take out ONE (1) piece of filter paper and stick adhesive part securely at front ring of the baby’s diaper
- Sometimes, the filter paper may protrude out of the baby’s diaper especially when you are experiencing a smaller baby
Check filter paper condition
- Check if the baby’s urine is fully absorbed onto the filter paper.
- Discard the filter paper if baby’s stool was mixed, baby’s urine is not completely absorbed or does not meet the collection criteria. Please refer to the urine sample reference.
- Repeat steps (1) and (2) with a fresh piece of filter paper.
Air-dry filter paper
- Air-dry the filter paper by holding the non-rounded end in hand or via a binder clip.
- Alternatively, place the filter paper on top of the self-adhesive plastic bag or any DRY & CLEAN surface possible to air-dry.
- DO NOT air-dry in any wet surface, direct sunlight or use instruments for air-drying, like hair dryer
- It takes at least 2 hours to air-dry the filter paper completely in the room temperature.
Seal dried filter paper tightly
- Stick ONE (1) number label provided across the non-rounded end (covering the “Metascreen™” word).
- Place the dried filter paper back in the self-adhesive plastic bag and seal the bag tightly.
- Discard unused filter paper.
3) Complete the following items and seal it properly in the Metascreen™ envelope. Call to Cordlife Hotline 021 – 8379 7424 to pick up.
- Urine specimen collection form: All fields in the form MUST BE filled up. Kindly provide as much details as possible of the clinical or medical conditions of the baby, if any.
- Seal dried filter paper (with your baby’s urine sample)
For more information, please visit www.metascreen.org/in/ or call to our Cordlife hotline for assistance